I’m going to say straight away that the math behind how to make a Mobius strip is beyond me. Math is definitely not my strongest suit, and this form of infinite math is quite puzzling.
Nevertheless, just because we don’t fully understand something doesn’t mean we can’t share our Mobius strip for kids activities!
Add these math challenges to your list of fun math activities for kids!
Kids will love discovering that the complicated math equation above is the secret behind this simple twisted design.
What is a Mobius Strip?
The Mobius strip is called a nonorientable surface. According to mathematicians, the Mobius strip is called a “surface with a boundary” just like a cylinder. The parametric equation for a Mobius strip is as follows:
The entire strip is a cubic surface even though it is flat.
Aside from all of the complicated math, Monkey was quite entertained and puzzled with how the simple strip of paper became an infinite loop.
You can learn more about mobius strips here from someone who has a lot more math skills than I have.
More Hands-on Math Activities
You may also like to try these other fun math activities!
- Mirror Reflection Symmetry Math Project
- STEAM Math Activities for Curious and Bright Kids
- Spirolateral Math Art STEAM Activity
- Hands-on Math Activities
Our Favorite STEM Supplies
We keep these STEM supplies on hand to help us out with any STEM project we want to try!
The Mason Jar Scientist: 30 Jarring STEAM-Based ProjectsBall Regular Mouth Mason Jars with Lids and Bands, 16-Ounces (4-Pack)Crisco Pure Vegetable Oil, 32 OunceBarbasol Soothing Aloe Thick & Rich Shaving Cream 10 Oz (2 Pack)Alka-Seltzer PFY BXAS50 80659297 Antacid and Pain Relief Medicine, Two-Pack (Pack of 50)Kadaon 10X Handheld Magnifier Antique Mahogany Handle Magnifier Reading Magnifying Glass for Reading Book, Inspection, Coins, Insects, Rocks, Map, Crossword PuzzleBORAX 20 Mule Team Laundry Booster, Powder, 4 PoundsFine Ground Celtic Sea Salt – (1) 16 Ounce Resealable Bag of Nutritious, Classic Sea Salt, Great for Cooking, Baking, Pickling, Finishing and More, Pantry-Friendly, Gluten-FreeMcCormick Assorted Food Color, 1 Fl Oz (Pack of 1)Food Coloring – 12 Color Vibrant Cake Food Coloring Set for Baking, Decorating, Fondant and Cooking – Upgraded Liquid Concentrated Icing Food Color Dye for Slime Making, DIY Crafts – .25 fl. oz. Each30% Pure Vinegar – Home&Garden (1 Gallon)Arm & Hammer Pure Baking Soda, 5 lbArgo Corn Starch 16 oz. Box (Pack of 4)
How to Make a Mobius Strip
Try this activity for making a mobius strip! Learning how to make a mobius strip is a fun math STEM activity that all kids should try at least once!
Follow along with our directions to learn how to make a Mobius strip for kids. And there are lots of other fun Mobius strip activities and hands-on math activities that you can do as well!
- 2 colors of crayon
- Cut a strip of paper about 1 inch wide and 6 inches long. Color one side blue and one side red (or use whatever colors you have).
- Twist the strip of paper in the center once and tape the two ends of the paper together. You should have a figure eight shape.
- Have the children trace the path of one of the colors with a third color.
- Rather than reach the end of the strip, they will start drawing on the second color in an infinite loop. It's pretty awesome.
- Take the project a step further by having the children cut the piece of paper in half lengthwise. This will create an even bigger single loop big enough for kids to step through. It feels like magic, but it's just math!