Try these easy patriotic activities for elementary students and make it a memorable summer! Even if you’re not doing your patriotic activities for kids during the summer (maybe you’re from another country or you are celebrating President’s Day!), you can still enjoy these patriotic activity ideas that kids aged 5-12 will really love!
Simple Patriotic Activities for Elementary Students
Elementary kids have a lot of fun with activities. If you’re teaching kids this summer, at a summer program, school, or at home, you’ll enjoy this list of patriotic activity ideas for elementary!
Patriotic Lesson Plans
If you are teaching kids about the 4th of July or any other patriotic theme this year, you’ll love the patriotic science bundle! Click the image below to learn more about these done-for-you patriotic science lessons that kids will love! You’ll love how easy it is to just print and teach.
Shop Our Supply List for Patriotic Activities for Elementary Students
Check out this Amazon affiliate shopping list for patriotic activities for kids!
Patriotic STEM Kits
If you don’t want to gather materials all by yourself, kids will love playing around with these complete patriotic kits instead! Shop the Amazon affiliate links below for a selection of patriotic STEM activity kids that you can just open up and do in one sitting.
- Rocket Science Kit
- Smithsonian Rocket Science
- Meteor Rocket Kit
- Fizz Pop Boom Science
- Exploding Booms Science
What Countries Have Red, White and Blue Flags?
A lot of countries love the old red, white, and blue! But if you’re wondering why so many flags are red, white, and blue, I was too!
Here are some fun red, white, and blue flag “facts” that may or may not be historically accurate. :-D
- A long time ago when flags were first in use, there were limited colors of dye. Red and blue were easy colors to find. Red could be made from plants or from iron oxides. Blue was easily obtained from a variety of plants, particularly the widely available Indigofera tinctoria.
- In the 1400s and 1500s, when many countries were in their infant forms of what they are today, indigo was a popular color for the wealthy. So, naturally, many countries wanted to appear strong and wealthy and used it in their flags.
- From there, how other countries adopted it is mainly through the popularity of other large countries already using it. There is also a story that states that the Dutch flag was originally orange, but would fade to red, so they just gave up and stuck with red.
- In the 1700s and 1800s, colors were assigned meanings, and red became associated with bravery, blue with justice and integrity, and white with purity and innocence. Those all sound positive, so why not? :-D
Here is a non-comprehensive list of countries with red, white, and blue flags:
- Costa Rica
- New Zealand
- United Kingdom
- The Netherlands
- Czech Republic
- Dominican Republic
Patriotic Activities for Elementary Students
Check out this list of fantastically fun patriotic activity ideas for elementary!
Older kids will have such a blast setting off these Patriotic Paint Bombs.
This fluffy patriotic slime is very low-mess and a lot of fun to make.
If you can’t do real fireworks this year, try the milk surface tension experiment!
Patriotic Confetti fireworks let kids build a confetti popper that looks like fireworks without using any real explosives.
Learn how the Statue of Liberty turned green in the turning a penny green activity.
Grab these Printable President Worksheets and learn a bit about presidents of the past for your educational patriotic activities.
If you need even more creative Patriotic Theme Ideas, there are some really good ideas right here!
Here you’ll find some really fun patriotic art projects for elementary students.
And if that’s not enough art for you, check out this list of patriotic painting ideas.
If you want science activities for your elementary students, you’ll love these Patriotic Science Experiments.
And you must check out this list of Patriotic STEM Activities for Kids!